Yorkshire Terrier puppies are great companions that come in small packages. They share a very strong bond with their human family. They are outbound, jolly, gregarious and possess a sense of belonging. Their bark is astonishingly loud for such a small package. But this makes them an excellent watchdog. Moreover, they are always alert and would start barking even at the slightest hint of danger. This is why it is important to initialize the socializing training in Yorkshire Terriers at the early stage of their life. With proper training, they have the potential to becoming an indispensable member of the household.
The two most important aspect of training a Yorkie is to train it to control excessive barking and toilet training. Because of their cuteness and intelligence, they are favorite among humans. The Yorkshire Terrier can be trained along the lines of the following steps.
1. During training your Yorkie, it is important that you be the authoritative figure. It has to know and understand that you are the owner and boss of the dog. You have to show the dog clearly what mischief it is not allowed to do.
2. Yorkshire terriers do not have very long attention span. So train your dog with only one command for one training session. Make sure that the other family members use the same command on the dog. It is better you keep the training sessions short.
3. It is important to make your dog feel wanted and loved. So, when it does a task correctly, do not forget to treat it with a verbal praise and a food treat.
4. It takes time for a Yorkie to get accustomed to a collar. So while choosing a collar, choose a light one and let it get used to the collar for a few days. The collar should not be too loose or tight. You should be able to insert one finger between the dog´s neck and the collar.
5. After the Yorkie is accustomed to the collar, you can put it on a leash. Let the leash be long so that your dog can play around and enjoy. You can also teach it to obey your command “Come” by giving it´s leash a sharp tug. After the dog has learnt to obey this, you can slowly discard the leash. Then it would come back to you just with a verbal command. You can help your dog practice this for a long time so that it is obedient.
6. You can also also teach your Yorkshire Terrier to “Stay”. You can position it in a sitting posture in a room and order it to stay with a verbal command. Then you can walk away from it. If it follows you, then it has not yet learnt. But if it stays in the sitting position, you can treat him with verbal praise and snacks.
7. Moreover, it is also important to teach your Yorkie to leave any object. This would train it not to pick up food offered by strangers, foreign objects like shoes, etc. You can teach it to obey the verbal command “Leave it”.
I highly recommend this dog training system to all Yorkshire terrier owners who want to learn how to train their dogs:
Doggy Dans Online Dog Trainer.